Day 5 - Strategic Escape
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails. William Arthur Ward
As of 10:40 local time today, our expedition team was picked up by an Air Greenland helicopter and safely deposited 50 kilometres further onto the Greenland Ice Cap. The image above of their final campsite speaks volumes of the terrain that they so gratefully left behind.
Their new position is:
N 67 10 53
W 48 51 30
It took the helicopter pilot 3 rotations to transport the participants and sleds to a beautifully smooth snow-covered spot on the plateau. The decision to proceed in this manner was decided upon together with our entire team yesterday when it became clear that their approach route was eating up too much of the total allotted expedition time. We knew during the expedition preparation phase that the late summer melt from the ice cap down to the sea would create extra challenges, but no one expected the torrential rivers and deep crevasses that our team actually faced.
This afternoon, Dixie is now leading the team through a complete equipment reorganisation in expectation of the kiting days to come. There is currently a slight wind which may allow the big kites to haul them a bit further away from their helicopter drop-off point. We shall see.
In the meantime, until we hear a new update from the team, we wish Cordula, Lorenz, Matthieu and Dixie smooth sailing. Bon vent !
For more information on their progress, please visit to the following links:
Expeditions Unlimited (French & English):
*includes tracking via LiveExplorer:
Matthieu Tordeur (French):